Past Design Teams

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Never too old to try something new...

Bad girls kits is doing a special challenge series called Project 52. The first challenge was to create a canvas that features an item from nature and is about a Hero to you...

Well...I have never created a canvas before, so this was a challenge for me...and I am so very glad I decided to push myself to create something new and different...

I decided that my hero would be my Nanny. She was the only positive female role model I had in my life growing up. No matter how bad things were in my house, my Nanny could always make me feel loved and wanted with just a few words.... "Just want you to know i love you"...

I started with a plain white canvas and used inks to create the muddled background...I stained the paper doily with Distressing inks...the skeleton leave is my natural item...I then added other items that reminded me of her in some way... two small pearl topped pins topped with a made with love locket to represent her crochet hobby, the heart button was actually from something of hers, the pearls represent her always wearing fake pearls, the silk flower because her name was Rosa; the small Tim Holtz spinner because she always helped me to pick the right direction. All of the dimensional pieces on the canvas were put down using Helmar's 450 quick drying adhesive. I LOVE this glue when you are working on a project and you need to have the flexibility to adjust your pieces as they dry...and then when it is dry...it is really stuck!

Here is my first ever canvas...a tribute to my hero...Nanny Rosa...



Thank you so much to Julie and the other dt gals over at Bad Girls for this Project 52 challenge....it was wonderful to spend time once again with my favorite hero! (and I got to try a whole new medium for expressing myself...totally fun!) My girls both want to put this in their room....so I may have to creat something else about Nanny and we can rotate them....

I am excited to see what they have in mind for their second challenge....

Happy crafting....Lynda

5 comments:

Lora Oliver said...

Lynda, that is BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for sharing it with us. It is very inspiring and touching.

Cindy Groh said...

Love that big leaf. The doily is cool too.

Mara Campbell said...

This is beautiful Lynda!!! Such a sweet photo and I love all the embellies. Great job on your first canvas!!

marcibun said...

Beautiful job, and what a touching tribute. You'll cherish that piece.

Stacey said...

Wow! That is amazing. How awesome to try something you have never done before. I love the way you described you nanny too! Wonderful work.